The first precinct reports are coming in -- just a few -- and they share Sup. Eric Mar holding and even expanding his lead in District 1. Too early to call it, but Mar is jubilant and so are his supporters. Joe Fitzgerald send this report:
If there was a loud and clear message from the Eric Mar supporters at his election party, it was that realtors and rent-control opponents can't keep a good progressive down.
"We're going to kick their ass," said Mar. "We're going to show that the anti-rent control, realtors and big business people downtown can't do this again."
Mar was talking about the barrage of hit mailers that have attacked him relentlessly in the past few weeks.
The residents themselves were fed up with it.
"I like to use two bags to recycle all this shit," Brian Hudgins, a novelist from the neighborhood told us. He was amazed by how Lee, an obvious moderate, targeted his liberal, progressive apartment complex.
"The mailers turned people off," Mar said.
Norman Ten is an ardent Mar supporter. Wearing his blue "Eric Mar for Supervisor" shirt, he said that as a scientist, he looks at the facts when he votes.
"That David Lee guy had offices and headquarters over on Post street. Now that's not even in the Richmond, now is it?" he said.
Chris Daly, the fiery progressive ex-supervisor even made an appearance at Mar's party. He saw this election as a particularly blatant attack on progressives.
"Its just like my 2006 race," he said. "But when progressive San Francisco is united, we win."
Most Commented On
- Share a cab - May 18, 2013
- Winograd went on to leave the Dem party - May 18, 2013
- Some more analysis of the SF recycling boondoggle - May 18, 2013
- How do we know what laws to obey? - May 18, 2013
- The law doesn't support that interpretation. - May 18, 2013
- "Death wish"? Crazy. I've been subjected to actual death wishes - May 18, 2013
- Wrong - May 18, 2013
- It's not a crime. It's a civil matter. - May 18, 2013
- Nope, that wasn't me. - May 18, 2013
- Hey, you were the one playing the race card - May 18, 2013